One month ago, I began the hectic, grueling and tedious process of packing up my life in Saskatoon to move out to the west coast. During this process I could not believe the amount of clutter I had accumulated in what I viewed as a “fairly organized living space…..” (I was proven wrong as I scurried through 3 closets of clothes and shoes I had once “organized”.) I found humor in the fact that I was still debating if I should hold on to the sweater from 2006 “just incase.” After repeating “less is more” hundreds of times, I quickly got over the anxiety that all of those things are just materials. I truly wanted to leave feeling lighter, taking with me only essentials. Needs. Actual needs.
That being said, after donating the majority of my belongings to Saskatoon Aids society, I was finally packed and ready to move across the country to Victoria BC.
Although I was not born and raised in Saskatoon, I feel that this place is my home. I have developed some of the most amazing friendships in this city and have grown leaps and bounds through the seven years I was there.
It has only been a few weeks since I have moved, and although there are endless things to do out here on the west coast, my heart still aches for those diamond places, spaces and people Saskatoon offers. The city that shines – I hold you forever close to my heart.
I am extremely excited to be in Victoria surrounded by some of the most authentic natural beauty Canada offers. During my time out here I will continue my studies in holistic health and healing. This is one major step up from Saskatoon. The holistic healing arts bombard the streets just steps outside our condo building. I could not believe my first visit to Victoria, there are literally yoga and holistic studios everywhere! It feels absolutely amazing to be able to leave our space, and walk two minutes down the block to squeeze in that much needed yoga practice/ massage treatment, or an ocean view that clears all types of clutter.
Below I have included a list of my top five places to spend my time in Saskatoon -
Favorite Coffee Shop:
- Okay, when it comes to coffee shops, I can truly enjoy them all! But my favorite hangout spots to journal or read over a cup of joe are:
- Broadway Roastery (Broadway)
- Café Sola
- Pending on the type of food my tasty buds are craving, I often would find
myself indulging in:
- Keos Restaurant on Broadway (Best Thai food in town!),
- Sushiro on Broadway for Sushi
- Soulio Foods on 3rd Avenue for lunch is always a relatively healthy lunch spot! As far as I know, most of the options from meats to veggies are purchased and grown from local markets – always important to support local! (After lunch I loved to walk across the street to LUNA AND HILL for an afternoon browse. This clothing store is stacked with a laid back west coast style and you are always welcomed with sincere happiness and positive vibes.)
Favorite Afternoon Run or Walk:
- The Meewasin trail in Saskatoon was always one of my favorite places to let out some steam. The path runs alongside the Saskatchewan River and carries with it a feeling of rejuvenation and healing in and of itself.
Favorite Yoga Studio and Teachers:
- I began my practice with Sheena Oliphant and Ryan Liere out of One Yoga several years ago. I know that One Yoga is in the process of moving to a new space called FREEDOM FITNESS – make sure to check out this space as I hear it is going to be quite a treat for Saskatoon!
- Sheena Oliphant is currently running her own classes and massage business – Check out shadesofred.com to be in touch with an amazingly powerful therapist and teacher.
Favorite Shoe Store:
- Swank Shoe Lounge located on 2nd Avenue is stacked with style from head to toe. Melissa Bodnar and Jana Raskob are style and fashion experts who keep the Saskatoon streets looking zesty. It’s always a pleasure to visit Swank, as these girls radiate vibrant smiles and info on all the latest trends. (If your into trends.... haha)
So there you have it! Those are my few of my favorite spots! I hope I have provided someone with a new spot to check out. I look forward to sharing many new teachings the west coast will throw my way! I am already looking forward to my return over the THANKSgiving weekend.
If you'd like to vote for your own favourites in Saskatoon, fill out this year's BEST OF SASKATOON 2012 via Planet S.
See you soon Saskatoon - Keep on Shining.